Monday, July 21, 2008

SHE'S HERE!!!!

Sorry it has taken so long to update, but a lot has happened in the last few weeks. Lily decided to make her appearance 5 weeks early!! Needless to say we were quite unprepared. We had had a few episodes of false labor in the preceding week so when I began to feel contractions on Tuesday evening around 5 pm I didn't think much of it at first. Then I realized they were in a pretty consistent pattern, coming every 5 minutes. Then my water broke and I knew we were going to have a baby. When Josh got home from work around 7 we unloaded gifts from the back seat, as I had just had a baby shower at work that day, gathered our hospital bags, and grabbed the carseat still in the plastic wrap and tags attached. Neither of us had had dinner but I just knew that since my contractions were now 3 minutes apart and my water had broken that we were going to have a baby VERY soon so I opted not to get dinner on the way to the hospital. Once we arrived we discovered we were in for a very long journey. Although my water had broken I was not dilated and only about 10% effaced, out of a 100%. So we started Pitocin and took som extra measures to help my body get into labor. 36 hours later at 8am Thursday morning I opted to get the epidural. At this point I had had no sleep and been relegated to sugar free Jell-O, due to my diabetes. Combine that with intense pain, my finger being pricked every 2 hours, and knowing that I was only 4 cm dilated I knew I wanted some help. Once I got the epidural I was able to go to sleep and finally my body began to get into a good labor pattern. However we still had a long way to go. At 3:30 that afternoon I began pushing and pushed for about 45 minutes. Completely exhausted I took a nap for an hour and when I woke up I pushed for another 3 hours!!! Finally at 8:12pm on Thursday July 10 Lily Ruth Allen made her grand entrance into this world. She was 18 3/4 inches long, weighed 6 pounds 5 ounces, and had a head circumfrence of 13 inches. She is built just like her father being very long and thin, and many say she looks just like him too. What a surreal experience. She has brought nothing but an abundance of love into mine and Josh's world. The first week has been such a blur. Miracously Lily did not have to go to NICU and came home with us on Saturday. We then had to go 3 times that week to get her blood drawn and lay her in a Billirubin bed for her Jaundice. And we had to make sure she was eating as she had dropped down to 5 Pounds 6 ounces. However today we got a clean bill of health and she is doing wonderfully. Josh and I love her so much and could not ask for a better baby!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's Beautiful!!!I am so happy for you. I know your life has been a whirl-wind over the past few days. Be prepared, it will slow down, and you will adjust, but enjoy the moments as they will pass by quickly. Can's wait to see her, Cynthia C.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful pictures! Thanks for updating us. Hope you & Josh are getting some rest.

Bobbie Thorpe

Ashley said...

Ash I'm so happy for you! What a beautiful baby...and I'm so proud to share my birthday with her! Lily is lucky to have you for a mother!